[linux-elitists] Netcraft reports Windows 2003 taking share from Linux, Sun launches desktop Linux

Jon Carnes jonc@nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 16 08:47:20 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 11:26, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> Interesting news day for Linux announcements.
>
> Netcraft reports that Windows 2003 is gaining Web server market share from
> Linux:
>
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=620&ncid=620&e=2&u=/nf/20030
> 915/bs_nf/22290
>
> Sun announced its Java Desktop (Mad Hatter):
>
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/nm/20030916/tc_
> nm/tech_sunmicrosystems_dc&sid=95573713
>
> Has anyone spent time dissecting Windows 2003?  I haven't tried it yet
> myself.  Anyone try running half a dozen large sites with it?  I plan to
> bring it up on a couple of servers to test.  What Windows 2003 features are
> making it acceptable as a replacement for Linux?  From the Yahoo story:
>
> "The encouraging thing for Microsoft is that [the usage increase] is showing
> the world that there are some shared-hosting services on Server 2003," he
> [Netcraft director Mike Prettejohn] said.

I've installed it at a few clients.  It's like their old version of SBS
(small business server) but come to maturity.  If you use it with Active
Directory then the install of the services and the users is extremely
easy.

They have some nice scripting to help you install services and
applications, plus the help is context sensitive and during installs it
points out dependent services and how to integrate them with the current
service you are installing.  After, the install of the service, the help
points to check lists of items that should be done as well.

It's all very nicely done.

Without Active Directory, it's a PITA to add users/groups and to setup
"home" directories for users.  Also, anyone with a local account is
still given full access to the system - but access by Active Directory
users does not.

It's good competition, but the licensing pricing still kills you once
you go beyond 20 users.  At that point its cheaper to hire a consultant
to do it all for you in Open Source.  Still, if you are used to paying
out licensing for all your users, then this is a big improvement over
Win2000 or WinXP.

Jon Carnes