[linux-elitists] Netcraft reports Windows 2003 taking share from Linux, Sun launches desktop Linux

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Tue Sep 16 08:26:36 PDT 2003

Interesting news day for Linux announcements.

Netcraft reports that Windows 2003 is gaining Web server market share from
Linux:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=620&ncid=620&e=2&u=/nf/20030
915/bs_nf/22290

Sun announced its Java Desktop (Mad Hatter):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/nm/20030916/tc_
nm/tech_sunmicrosystems_dc&sid=95573713

Has anyone spent time dissecting Windows 2003?  I haven't tried it yet
myself.  Anyone try running half a dozen large sites with it?  I plan to
bring it up on a couple of servers to test.  What Windows 2003 features are
making it acceptable as a replacement for Linux?  From the Yahoo story:

"The encouraging thing for Microsoft is that [the usage increase] is showing
the world that there are some shared-hosting services on Server 2003," he
[Netcraft director Mike Prettejohn] said.

I saw Mad Hatter at LinuxWorld, and was unimpressed.  How different is the
product Sun actually announced?

Larry

--
Larry M. Augustin                       lma@lmaugustin.com
Tel: +1.650.966.1759                    Fax: +1.650.966.1753