[linux-elitists] e-mail scriptrollas

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Fri Sep 12 04:49:57 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 10:00:56PM -0700, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  Adam Kessel  quotation:
> > While we're on this metatopic, I do almost all my email on BART, so
> > I really appreciate the inclusion of article text in postings.
> 	This brings me to an idea that I'd like to post in the spirit
> of establishing prior art.

It's clear that there's a need for a more universal solution, maybe
something along the lines you propose. My observation is that
elitist-type-folks generally make do with some combination of techniques
as you described, and regular (linux) users are pretty much stuck with a
limited frontend that either makes them do all their mail in one place
(e.g., evolution with POP, or ssh to pine on mailserver).

Maybe the solution for Larry, myself, and others like us, might be a
procmail script that greps URLs in incoming email and wgets the contents
into some kind of cache area (backgrounded, so as not to slow mail
delivery) for offline reading. Does anyone see why this wouldn't make
everyone happy?

Your idea reminds me of what the Groove Networks product does
(proprietary win32 application). I haven't used Groove since early
pre-beta stages (last time I had regular access to a win box), but I
think the idea is to present a platform for collaboration where the
collaborators need never all be online at once. Everything works through
distributed transaction logs; so you could have, e.g., ten people all
working on a single document in a "shared space" offline, and when any of
them come online it does its best to sync up the changes by distributing
the transactions. It can be purely peer-to-peer or go through a relay
server.

Their website describes the technology much better than I, but I think
the general idea of distributed transaction logging could solve a lot of
online/offline many-homes problems...
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam