[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Thu Sep 11 19:27:46 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 22:22, Modus Operandi wrote:
> Joakim Ziegler <joakim@avmaria.com> looked into the void, and said:
> > the essay about how he as a young man channeled Pan and was a sex
> > god (I'm not joking, it is, or at least used to be, on his site)

>   It's still there:

>     http://catb.org/~esr/writings/dancing.html

>     "If you start this, please read it through. Stopping partway
>     would probably leave you with some very silly misconceptions."

>   Thanks for the tip -- this was a very eye-opening article, in more
>   ways than one. Having said that, I'll stop short of ridiculing the
>   man's neo-pagan beliefs or indulging in ad-hominem attacks.

I mostly view it as one part of a very large pattern of ESR "casually"
mentioning that he's "special", a "natural talent", etc. It's there,
it's in one of the appendices to the Jargon File ("I once read a TeX
manual of 600 pages overnight, people were surprised at how fast I read,
but I viewed it as normal"), the "natural talent for marksmanship"
comment, and so on.

It's related to his tendency to inflate the importance of his own rather
trivial programming accomplishments, and sometimes even take credit for
other people's work, anyone remember the curses maintainership flap,
when he erased other people's copyright headers and claimed it as his
own?

ESR needs to be best, the leader, the authority. He craves power and
people worshipping him. If people disagree with him, he froths at the
mouth and becomes totally irate.

These are not irrelevant ad-hominems. These are basically traits that
are very undesirable to have in a spokesman for anything.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet