[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Derek Vadala derek@cynicism.com
Thu Sep 11 17:35:14 PDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> I'll make this easy for you:
>
> #1 hit, I'm feeling lucky (cache):
> http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache:osjMp-a7I3kJ:wfsu.tripod.com/fcc_programming_regulations.htm+fcc+obscenity+regulations+asshole&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
>
> > No DJ at this station will EVER mention these words while on the air:
> > fuck, shit, piss, goddamit, cunt, prick, cock, pussy, tits,
> > motherfucker, cocksucker, asshole, bitch. Also, NO racial slurs are to
> > be mentioned, or any other obscene or derogatory comments. No mention
> > of genitalia or bodily functions will be permitted, unless they are to
> > be used in a scientific or medical context.
> >
> > Some of the words listed may carry multiple meanings. However, use of
> > these words in even a docile context could lead to a fine with the
> > FCC.

This was roughly the policy when I worked at KUSF.

I haven't been following this debate too closely, but I know that while
some television stations will air the word 'asshole', Comedy Central, for
example, most will not. This includes most networks, and their affiliates,
as well as the major cable news networks. So you can argue about whether
the FCC allows the world asshole to be broadcast or not, but that's not
going to change any station's self-censorship policies.

For example, it's totally legal to play a song that uses the word Fuck on
the radio. It's not legal for a DJ to say the word Fuck on the air.
However, many stations, including KUSF (at least when I was there) had a
policy against playing any song with the word Fuck in it. This was mostly
due to the fact that the the station manager was an 'asshole', and
probably still is.