[linux-elitists] Torvalds to SCO: Negotiate What?

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Thu Sep 11 17:14:49 PDT 2003

begin  quotation from Michael Still on Thursday, September 11, 2003 4:55 PM
>Not that I object to what Linus is alleged to have said in this letter, but
>it bothers me that the article doesn't mention any attempt to verify that
>the letter was in fact from Linus. Does anyone have any feel for whether
>the letter was really sent by him? Should we just trust the media's
>reporting on this sort of issue to have been correctly verified, or is
>timeliness more important in the journalist's eyes?

Thank you.  Very good point which I intended to comment on in my original
post, but failed to for a variety of irrelevant reasons.

I was part of the email thread in which Linus wrote the words that Bob
quoted.  I believe that it was not Linus' intent to make this an open,
published letter.  Rather, my impression of the context in which it was sent
from Linus' point of view was, "Here is the kind of letter I (Linus) would
write if I were to write a letter."

Unfortunately, I have to run now or I would track down the thread and verify
that.

Larry