[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 10 18:56:06 PDT 2003

Quoting Ben Woodard (ben@zork.net):

> I've sort of been thinking about it may be good for ESR to be the
> sacrifical leader that we put up there for them to discredit in attempts
> for them to discredit the movement.

Well, there you go.

> >    ESR's statements and actions have come into question before. ESR
> > made reference to wearing a Obi-Wan Kenobi uniform during a Windows
> > Refund protest.
> >
> > 	http://lwn.net/Articles/46229/
> >
> >    This caused a bit of a stir:
> >
> >    http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/1999-February/010840.html

Oooh, a "stir" on the SVLUG mailing list from two idiots who had nothing
whatsoever with the hard work that went into planning and running Windows
Refund Day.  That and $1.25 will get you a ride on San Francisco Muni.

Meanwhile, back to addressing Mr. Knotzke:

The Foster City and Irvine gatherings of Windows Refund Day (and, to a
limited extent, some of the others) were planned
and run by a small private mailing list offered by Mark Bolzern of
LinuxMall, with the details largely put together at the CoffeeNet building
(Linux-based Internet cafe) in San Francisco[1].  A Linux user in San
Francisco volunteered the idea of sewing a "Jedi" cloak for Eric as a
humourous reference to a then-famous series of User Friendly strips,
e.g., http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/98dec/19981203.html.

As one of the main planners for the Foster City event, I thought it was
a very funny idea, so I passed it on to Eric -- who in turn liked it and
wore the thing.  Don't like it?  Run your own damned PR event, then --
and maybe you want to use hired spokesmen paid for out of your own
pocket, rather than risk people doing what they enjoy, because it damned
well pleases them to.

I might come to your event and whine about how much I don't like it --
but I probably will have a lot more productive things to do.

[1] Mirror:  http://linuxmafia.com/coffeenet/

--
Cheers,           "I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate
Rick Moen         those who do.  And, for the people who like country music,