[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Wed Sep 10 11:02:02 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 08:32:49AM -0400, Andrew wrote:

> > Businesses on the other hand generally try to play by the rules of
> > whatever field they may choose to deploy on.  If we wish
>
> What of the tactics of smear campaigns and other forms of attacking the
> credibility of persons who aren't toeing the company line?  Particularly
> that of whistleblowers?

One would hope that at the end of the day, the rules of the game
would discourage this sort of behavior.

In this particular game the meta-rules encourage attempts to improve
the rules, through a process deliberately framed to be unwieldy and
slow, in part to screen out abrupt and poorly thought through changes.

Protections for whistleblowers are in process, and may in a few decades
become adequate, due largely to the efforts, volunteer and otherwise,
of those who care.  In opposition to the efforts of those who would
rather not see such protections.

People (and companies) will step out of line from time to time.  If
that wasn't so, there'd be much less need for the SEC, the courts
and so on.  However that usually doesn't justify stepping out of line
ourselves.

--
Dan Wilder