[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Adam Kessel adam@bostoncoop.net
Wed Sep 10 05:00:54 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:04:38PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Darl makes one good point before launching into his "Ha ha!" and
> > subsequent lecturing:
> Mr. McBride departs into the realm of fantasy when he suggests that the
> open source community is any way obliged to "police" against attacks on
> his sorry ass.  Although I waste very little time doing so, I have
> indulged a few entirely guilt-free smiles about his firm's misfortunes.

This is a very good point, and I think it highlights something important
about SCO's strategy of characterizing the open source community as more
tight-knit than it really is. Their spokespeople keep talking about
"attacks from the open source community", and the need to sit down and
discuss intellectual property rights reasonably with the open source
community, etc..  This idea that the open source community needs to
"police itself" with respect to DoS attacks is just another parallel to
their claim that we must do better self-policing with respect to IP
rights.

Although it's more of a technique for framing the facts rather than a
legal argument, if they succeed in portraying us a unified entity (like a
corporation) it might bolster their attempt to hold everyone liable for
what might have been the wrong act of an individual member of the
community.
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam