[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Wed Sep 10 05:32:49 PDT 2003

> Guerilla fighters worldwide seek changes of government.  Those
> who succeed get respect and influence.  Those who don't get a
> bullet to the head.  Hopefully that's not the game anybody here is
> in; if so, please allow me to respectfully disassociate myself.

Agreed.  There's absolutely no need to resort to the equivalent of online
business guerilla warfare here.

> Businesses on the other hand generally try to play by the rules of
> whatever field they may choose to deploy on.  If we wish

What of the tactics of smear campaigns and other forms of attacking the
credibility of persons who aren't toeing the company line?  Particularly
that of whistleblowers?

> Would it be too much to suggest that if ESR knows anything of the
> identity of whoever has been hitting SCO's site, he should
> immediately share that information with the authorities?

I agree with you, but I would worry that any association with FOSS the
attacker has, no matter how tangential, would be spun into a form of
"Lookie!  FOSS is written by social outcasts and immature vigilante types!"

I certainly wouldn't put it past SCO.

Regards,
Andrew