[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Jon Portnoy avenj@gentoo.org
Tue Sep 9 22:38:53 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:04:36PM -0700, Dan Wilder wrote:

> Would it be too much to suggest that if ESR knows anything of the
> identity of whoever has been hitting SCO's site, he should
> immediately share that information with the authorities?

I think it'd be far more effective for us (the community) to shun those
who promote using illegal (and unethical) attack methods than it would
be to try to have them prosecuted - history (even outside of the world
of computing) shows that typically you can't prosecute every potential
troublemaker and attempting to make examples out of a handful of
individuals tends to backfire.

As for ESR's intentionally inflammatory comments:
Frankly, I think ESR should learn to keep his mouth shut more often.
While many of his arguments tend to be valid, his presentation method
seriously lacks.

--
Jon Portnoy
avenj/irc.freenode.net