[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 9 22:04:38 PDT 2003

Quoting Tim Hammerquist (tim+linux-elitists@vegeta.ath.cx):

> Darl makes one good point before launching into his "Ha ha!" and
> subsequent lecturing:
>
> >From http://www.sco.com/company/openletter/
> | No one can tolerate DoS attacks and other kinds of attacks in
> | this Information Age economy that relies so heavily on the
> | Internet. Mr. Raymond and the entire Open Source community need
> | to aggressively help the industry police these types of crimes.
> | If they fail to do so it casts a shadow over the entire Open
> | Source movement and raises questions about whether Open Source is
> | ready to take a central role in business computing. We cannot
> | have a situation in which companies fear they may be next to
> | suffer computer attacks if they take a business or legal position
> | that angers the Open Source community. Until these illegal
> | attacks are brought under control, enterprise customers and
> | mainstream society will become increasingly alienated from anyone
> | associated with this type of behavior.
>
> We honestly cannot afford to let scriptkiddies and Slashdotters
> cause these sort of problems in the name of FOSS....

About that supposedly "one good point":

Mr. McBride departs into the realm of fantasy when he suggests that the
open source community is any way obliged to "police" against attacks on
his sorry ass.  Although I waste very little time doing so, I have
indulged a few entirely guilt-free smiles about his firm's misfortunes.

They have no moral claim, on that matter, against the open source
community at large.  If they want to hire us as detectives, they're
welcome to field some suitably extravagent offer and see if anyone can
overcome the repugnance factor.

--
Cheers,              Wall Street has all the emotional stability of a
Rick Moen            thirteen-year-old girl.   -- Louis Rukeyser