[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Sep 9 20:46:28 PDT 2003

begin Joakim Ziegler quotation of Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:04:17PM -0500:

> Not that I don't *really* agree with you, but it's tempting to take the
> opposite side for the sake of argument. What if anyone actively opposing
> free software, legally or technically, were automatically subject to
> massive attacks, DoS or otherwise? Patent suit against a free software
> author? Your mail server goes down. Act like SCO? You might as well just
> take your whole business offline right now.

This reminds me of the Brian DeVries situation.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/2003/08/07/news/local/states/california/the_valley/6477843.htm

A landlord would certainly be within his or rights to rent Brian
DeVries a room.  And an arsonist would be committing a crime if he
burned the landlord's building down to try to kill DeVries or make
him move.

But as a tenant in the building, it would be reasonable to assume
that some people feel strongly about Brian DeVries, and to want to
live someplace else for fire safety reasons.  So it's likely that
a landlord will refuse to do business with McBride, I mean DeVries,
to avoid losing other tenants.

> I'm not saying it's a good scenario, but it's worth thinking about how
> that sort of strategy would play out. It's what guerrilla fighters
> worldwide have been doing for a very long time, and a lot of those have
> gotten respect and influence out of it.

Guerilla is the wrong analogy here.  IBM hired Ogilvy and Mather to
do Linux commercials on National Football League broadcasts on CBS.
Show me something more mainstream than that and I'll put mayonaise
on it and eat it.

KG6INA