[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Tue Sep 9 20:04:17 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 19:54, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> Darl makes one good point before launching into his "Ha ha!" and
> subsequent lecturing:
>
> >From http://www.sco.com/company/openletter/
> | No one can tolerate DoS attacks and other kinds of attacks in
> | this Information Age economy that relies so heavily on the
> | Internet. Mr. Raymond and the entire Open Source community need
> | to aggressively help the industry police these types of crimes.
> | If they fail to do so it casts a shadow over the entire Open
> | Source movement and raises questions about whether Open Source is
> | ready to take a central role in business computing. We cannot
> | have a situation in which companies fear they may be next to
> | suffer computer attacks if they take a business or legal position
> | that angers the Open Source community. Until these illegal
> | attacks are brought under control, enterprise customers and
> | mainstream society will become increasingly alienated from anyone
> | associated with this type of behavior.
>
> We honestly cannot afford to let scriptkiddies and Slashdotters
> cause these sort of problems in the name of FOSS, nor can we have
> a representative (Raymond) who also mouths off with so little
> forethought.  Mr. Raymond (AFAIK) commited no DoS attacks nor
> similar crimes, but his most recent statement itself was little
> more than chestbeating.

Not that I don't *really* agree with you, but it's tempting to take the
opposite side for the sake of argument. What if anyone actively opposing
free software, legally or technically, were automatically subject to
massive attacks, DoS or otherwise? Patent suit against a free software
author? Your mail server goes down. Act like SCO? You might as well just
take your whole business offline right now.

Sure, businesses would feel "alienated". But it'd also make a hell of a
lot more business sense to not oppose free software, or even to just
adopt it. It'd start influencing how much they'd pay in insurance,
everything.

I'm not saying it's a good scenario, but it's worth thinking about how
that sort of strategy would play out. It's what guerrilla fighters
worldwide have been doing for a very long time, and a lot of those have
gotten respect and influence out of it.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet