[linux-elitists] The hairball speaks

Tim Hammerquist tim+linux-elitists@vegeta.ath.cx
Tue Sep 9 17:54:11 PDT 2003

Darl makes one good point before launching into his "Ha ha!" and
subsequent lecturing:

>From http://www.sco.com/company/openletter/
| No one can tolerate DoS attacks and other kinds of attacks in
| this Information Age economy that relies so heavily on the
| Internet. Mr. Raymond and the entire Open Source community need
| to aggressively help the industry police these types of crimes.
| If they fail to do so it casts a shadow over the entire Open
| Source movement and raises questions about whether Open Source is
| ready to take a central role in business computing. We cannot
| have a situation in which companies fear they may be next to
| suffer computer attacks if they take a business or legal position
| that angers the Open Source community. Until these illegal
| attacks are brought under control, enterprise customers and
| mainstream society will become increasingly alienated from anyone
| associated with this type of behavior.

We honestly cannot afford to let scriptkiddies and Slashdotters
cause these sort of problems in the name of FOSS, nor can we have
a representative (Raymond) who also mouths off with so little
forethought.  Mr. Raymond (AFAIK) commited no DoS attacks nor
similar crimes, but his most recent statement itself was little
more than chestbeating.

Possibly controversially, I've generally leaned more towards
Raymond's business model (as opposed to Stallman's more zealous
approach).  His book ("The Cathedral and the Bazaar"), as well,
seemed to encourage calm, efficient application of OSS methods to
the existing ecosystem.  He seems to have lost the will to follow
his own example.

***

The rest of Darl's statement was everything we expected.  A
biased summary, followed by preaching as by a respected minister
or faculty member.

IOW, a comedy.

Cheers,
Tim Hammerquist
--
You should never be cowed by authority.  Except, of course, in
this instance when I am clearly right and you are clearly wrong.