[linux-elitists] Juice this: Microsoft Trustworthy Computing

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 3 20:20:21 PDT 2003

on Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 12:58:49PM +1000, Tim Potter (tpot@samba.org) wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 03:35:24AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > Trustworthy Computing</a>
>
> Jeez, after a 2000 word rant he didn't even say "install linux" but rather
> to get a virus program, and monitor the microsoft patch mailing list.
>
> I suppose you could search through landfill and second hand bookstores
> for old copies of OS/2 to run your business on.

He answered that separately here:

   http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=115291

Briefly:  for the SBE/SMB, the pain level, as great as it is, still
makes migration a _perceived_ risk.

Andrew's a VAR, and runs a real-world business with real-world
customers.  He also personally runs OS/2 desktops for his company, and
avoids pretty much all the Microsoft plagues as a result.

The perspective you get from Grygus is largely pragmatic, not
ideological.  His value is just that:  this piece highlights the pain of
legacy MS Windows.

Incidentally, if you missed thet references, Scott Berinato's "Patch and
Pray" article, on why security updates don't work (largely drawn from
the Slammer worm experience) is a must-read:

    http://www.csoonline.com/read/080103/patch.html

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/