[linux-elitists] Linux desktop investments

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 2 18:28:05 PDT 2003

on Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 11:14:02AM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Jonathan Corbet quotation of Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:08:40AM -0600:
>
> > I've been wondering for a bit what might happen if Sun really got
> > its act together and did a good job with its "mad hatter" stuff.

> Sun has entered a death spiral of inflated costs, underperforming
> products, and unsubstantiated arrogance.  The company that replaced
> minicomputers with cheaper commodity processors and a commodity OS is
> watching the same thing happen to it, and it's inspiring to watch, if
> you like the story of the Spartan boy and the fox.

s/Sun/VA Linux/ and reread that paragraph.

I'd think that Larry's very familiar with the problem.  History of the
marquee Wall Street darling GNU/Linux firm suggests he doesn't have a
good solution.  Time to reread your Clayton Christensen.  Sun was hot
when it could sell the future.  It's now in the business of selling the
past.  What's the future hold?  Buy Slashdot?  Join John in backing the
EFF?

I've been suggesting for about three years now that Sun would do well to
merge with Oracle, barring the obvious problem that the current buffer
zone between Sunnyvale and Foster City is necessary to contain both
egos.  I suspect the window of opportunity for such a deal has passed.
Remaining opportunities?  Sun-Apple (answers the desktop problem),
Sun-SGI (two refugees huddling for warmth, though there's some Federal
contract benefit).  The post Enron / Andersen and middle of the India
outsourcing era makes a Big N consluting firm marriage seem ill-advised.

I really can't see anything else.  I've already suggested that Sun is
the next SCO, and strongly usggest we keep our eyes peeled for
malevolence from this quarter.

Sun's real problem is that it's stuck in the nexus between IBM,
Microsoft, and GNU/Linux, and can't seem to help played against at least
two of these axes by the third at any one time, let alone gunning after
all three on its own initiative.

Looks fugly.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.