[linux-elitists] Linux desktop investments

Geoff Lane zzassgl@buffy.sighup.org.uk
Tue Sep 2 10:17:33 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 02:32:28AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Sun have so many internal ruptures already, and can't seem to get their
> story straight on "this Linux thing" or FOSS at all. Prime example of weird
> internal/historical mess: Their X group is not in their desktop group. So
> that's a whole time-wasting shitfight in itself. :-)

I've talked to techie people within Sun and they agree that their Linux
policy is a mess.  They freely agree that their first attempts were a total
cockup.  Right now their x86 products are badge engineered h/w introduced so
they can complete against companies such as Dell.

We've seen a number of big clusters being built with a large Sun server
front ended by a pile of Dell 1U systems running Linux.  Sun, primarily a
hardware company, want to keep that 1U and blade business for themselves.

I do sometimes wonder why the Linux world cares so much what Sun does.
Some of the comments on /. make you wonder if McNealy has visited the
authors personally and stamped on their kitten.

--
Geoff Lane
7 Aug 03 - The day SCO died; just waiting for the body to hit the ground.