[linux-elitists] Linux desktop investments

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Tue Sep 2 09:32:28 PDT 2003

<quote who="Jonathan Corbet">

> > I've been thinking about this for a while, and no one company really
> > stands out to me.  Thoughts?
>
> I've been wondering for a bit what might happen if Sun really got its act
> together and did a good job with its "mad hatter" stuff.

I'm not exceedingly hopeful. Maybe. Maybe.

The problem for Sun is that they're trying to turn a very heavy ship without
bringing in people who know the area. Although Novell have been doing their
thing in and around various FOSS communities for a while now, once they were
deadly serious, they brought in ('bought') the experts: Ximian.

Sun have so many internal ruptures already, and can't seem to get their
story straight on "this Linux thing" or FOSS at all. Prime example of weird
internal/historical mess: Their X group is not in their desktop group. So
that's a whole time-wasting shitfight in itself. :-)

There are awesome people in Sun doing great work, but they don't have anyone
upstairs directing their energy.

At least that's my analysis.

- Jeff

     "Free software never simply picks up its marbles and goes home." -
                            Jonathan Corbet, LWN