[linux-elitists] Teergrubing and the legality thereof

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 1 22:17:58 PDT 2003

on Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 02:28:14PM +0200, Jan Wender (j.wender@science-computing.de) wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 01:13:01PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > They're not going to be inconvenienced unless they're shipping 100s of
> > thousands of mails, minimum.
>
> The problem with teergrubing is the detection of the spamming servers.
> I'm wondering whether it would be feasible to slow mail delivery in
> general.  For most emails it wouldn't do any harm, they could be
> delayed for, say, one hour without problems. For instantaneous
> communication there is IM.

Well, the solution of teergrubing is to do a reasonable shot at
assessment.

One model involves setting up a teergrube as a server which handles _no_
legitimate traffic.  In which case, it's game to slow everythign sent
it.

If you're going to slow everything, realize that costs are higher to the
spammer than the ham server.  If you introduce a 30 second delay in mail
transmission, most users won't notice, but you've just cost the spammer
330 deliveries.

More sophisticated systems take into account reputations -- is a given
server always clean, usually clean, or never clean?  Brad Templeton has
an interesting proposal (IMO it mostly needs a good name) for service
level differentiation by trust level / accountability:

    http://www.templetons.com/brad/spam/endspam.html

> Perhaps the codevelopment of spam and faster connections is not by chance.
> In days of uucp and pathalias nobody thought of spam.

Also _more_ connections.  Metcalfe's law applies, within limits -- there
are more possible one-to-one connections possible via email today than
there were 15 years ago.  Probably by at least two orders of magnitude
-- 600 m users vs. < 1m?.

Peace.

   Kudos to Gateway's Digital Music Campaing & stand against the RIAA.
     http://www.gateway.com/home/deals/offers/music/dmz.shtml