[linux-elitists] Teergrubing and the legality thereof

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 1 05:13:01 PDT 2003

on Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 08:39:12AM +0100, Peter Whysall (peter@whysall.net) wrote:
> Now, we all know that spammers are despicable people who will seemingly
> stop at nothing to get their "message" across.
>
> I read with interest the description of teergrubing found at Marc's
> site, and while I'm considering putting this in, I'd like to clear up
> one point - is this in any way even vaguely construable as a DoS? Not
> that I care about spammers and their relays, but I do care about not
> having my broadband service terminated.

How is giving a "go slow" edict to someone who's trying to cram shit
down your throat a DoS?

They contacted your server.   You're simply beeing...lackadaisical in
your response.

They're not going to be inconvenienced unless they're shipping 100s of
thousands of mails, minimum.

The server feeding you crap is very likely compromised (Sobig zombie) or
running counter to (official) AUPs.

And if they want to stop the DoS, they can just stop cramming shit down
your server's throat.

The Teergrube FAQ covers some of this:

    http://www.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/usenet/teergrube.en.html

Of course, the problem with lawsuits is that nothing stops some
SCO^Widiot from launching one on the feeblest of pretenses.  But you
should be on pretty good grounds here.

Peace.

    Defeat EU Software Patents!                         http://swpat.ffii.org/