[linux-elitists] fwd: [SLL] Fighting evil with evil

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 31 19:41:01 PST 2003

on Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:40:12AM -0800, Dan Wilder (dan@ssc.com) wrote:
> This suggestion from a local user and sometimes LJ author:
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Glenn Stone <technoshaman@liawol.org> -----
>
> According to this article in the Register:

> The SCO Group has begun distributing Linux under a more restrictive license
> than the GPL.  I do believe they have stepped in the proverbial tar baby.
> Each and every person who has ever written even a one-byte patch to Linux is
> eligible to DMCA-notice them, and their upstream provider when they are
> ignored.
>
> If we were to all line up, all bazillion of us, and one at a time serve
> their provider notice and have their bandwidth dropped until such time as
> they correct their error, we could have them down for years!  Or at least
> until such time as the clue-by-four connected with Darl McBride's temple, or
> the SEC gets wise to this whole stock scheme and puts them out of business
> for good....
>
> But anyway.  Any Linux kernel contributor has the right to terminate SCO's
> right to distribute same by citing non-compliance with the GPL, and serve
> DMCA notice that they must cease and desist from providing
> therefore-unlicensed software for download.

At ten days per request, if appropriately timed.  30 developers == 300
days.  200+ developers == 2000+ days.

    17 USC 512(g)(2)(B)

    upon receipt of a counter notification described in paragraph (3),
    promptly provides the person who provided the notification under
    subsection (c)(1)(C) with a copy of the counter notification, and
    informs that person that it will replace the removed material or
    cease disabling access to it in 10 business days; and

Note that that's not "within", "at least" or another limiting factor.
The material _must_ remain offline for _at least_ ten days.

Frankly, given that copyright is being violated, I'd see it being
permanently barred.

Peace.

   The Amazon "one-click" patent boycott -- yes, it continues:
     http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/amazon.html#whyContinue