[linux-elitists] fwd: [SLL] Fighting evil with evil

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Fri Oct 31 11:40:12 PST 2003

This suggestion from a local user and sometimes LJ author:

----- Forwarded message from Glenn Stone <technoshaman@liawol.org> -----

According to this article in the Register:

The SCO Group has begun distributing Linux under a more restrictive license
than the GPL.  I do believe they have stepped in the proverbial tar baby.
Each and every person who has ever written even a one-byte patch to Linux is
eligible to DMCA-notice them, and their upstream provider when they are
ignored.

If we were to all line up, all bazillion of us, and one at a time serve
their provider notice and have their bandwidth dropped until such time as
they correct their error, we could have them down for years!  Or at least
until such time as the clue-by-four connected with Darl McBride's temple, or
the SEC gets wise to this whole stock scheme and puts them out of business
for good....

But anyway.  Any Linux kernel contributor has the right to terminate SCO's
right to distribute same by citing non-compliance with the GPL, and serve
DMCA notice that they must cease and desist from providing
therefore-unlicensed software for download.

SCO's upstream provider, as far as mtr can tell:

XO Communications, Inc.  (INEX-NOC)               noc@ENG.XO.COM
      1400 PARKMOOR AVE
      SAN JOSE, CA 95126-3429
      US
      408-817-2800 fax: 408-817-2630

Time for a little legal judo.  Go for it.

-- Glenn

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Dan Wilder