[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Tue Oct 28 16:22:44 PST 2003

On 28 Oct 2003, Jason Spence <jspence@lightconsulting.com> wrote:

> So if you write a big iron type application like traffic light
> arbitration or environmental control on VMS, you can be pretty sure
> it'll still be running in 30 years or so if there's commercial demand
> for it (although it might change hardware platforms a few times).

I heard unofficially that HP has committed to support VMS for some
defense customers for at least another 20 years.  The new Joint Strike
Fighter apparently uses VMS for some of its ground support systems,
and it's not even shipping yet.

One can only imagine what kind of job security VMS system programmers
will have in 15 years time.

> I can't even concieve of Linux, OS X, or Windows continuing to run
> applications with that kind of backwards code-level compatibility for
> that period of time.

If you wrote your application to an LSB standard and were prepared to
pay a comparable amount of money in maintenance, it might be done...

In some ways because support can't be killed off by any given vendor,
Linux is more future-proof.

--
Martin