[linux-elitists] [SCO] So, what's the word?

Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Tue Oct 28 09:23:27 PST 2003

The word?  More of the same.  The Darl show was unpleasant at best...all
those fawning congratulations from the "independent" media.  The
interesting points in my mind were the dividend provision on the BayStar
investment (8% after first year, up to 12% thereafter).  This isn't a
straightforward equity deal...

Oh, and the new deal with the lawyers:

	As part of this modification, which is subject to a definitive
	agreement, the law firm would receive a contingent fee of 20
	percent of the proceeds from certain events related to is
	protection of SCO's intellectual property rights, including certain
	licensing fees, settlements, judgments, equity financings or a sale
	of SCO during the pendancy of litigation or through settlement,
	subject to certain agreed upon credits for amounts received as
	discounted hourly fees or prior contingency payments.  In addition,
	this modification may result in the payment to such law firm of up
	to $1,000,000 and the issuance of up to 400,000 shares of SCO's
	common stock.
 -- http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1102542/000110465903023055/a03-4160_18k.htm

Boies et al does well regardless of how SCO comes out.

On a separate note, remember a while back when I asked about Integral
Capital and its investment in SCO?  Well...

  http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1102542/000095000503001009/p17797_scga.txt

It appears that they done gone and dumped every single share.

Hey, are there any elitists headed to Las Vegas for Comdex, ApacheCon,
and... "Enterprise IT Week"?  I'll get there if I can.  Maybe we could find
a way to drink enough beer in advance of Darl's keynote on the 18th?

	http://www.cdxpo.com/

This event also features a talk on open source licensing by "Steven
J. Henry, Shareholder and Chair, IP Transactions Group, Wolf, Greenfield &
Sacks, P.C."  To be covered:

	Recognizing your rights to technology developed in-house using
	materials dedicated to the public domain will help you shape
	licensing models that can become revenue streams and avoid loss of
	rights in your own proprietary code.

Gee, sign me up...

jon