[linux-elitists] MSFT registry search performance (was Re: gconf brain death ...)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 27 17:16:10 PST 2003

on Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:41:49PM -0800, Dragan Stancevic (visitor@xalien.org) wrote:
> On Friday 10 October 2003 08:25, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > > Any application that takes longer to search for one hit in a local file-
> > > than google takes to find 10000 hits on the internet is braindead.
> >
> > To be honest, google is able to throw many more computers at each query :)
>
> And to be honest regedit searches through a file the size of my address book.

Searching a properly indexed file should be virtually instantaneous
anyway.

My experience, with SAS, is that single-record indexed lookups on
multi-GiB files, in interactive mode, occur too fast to be perceived.
That's roughly 30 year old technology.

No reason Microsoft can't meet or beat this performance.

Peace.

    Bush/Cheney '04: Putting the "con" in conservatism