[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 23 11:19:06 PDT 2003

Quoting Michael Shields (shields@msrl.com):

> Of the list of architectures Adam Sampson posted in
> <y2aad7tx7p9.fsf@cartman.at.fivegeeks.net>, all are present in the
> mainline 2.6.0 tree.  Most architectures do have a splinter tree with
> fixes in it, but so do many core features like SCSI; this doesn't
> imply that the mainline is unusable.

Noted.  If that kernel will reasonably support actual typical machines,
as opposed to being just abstract CPU support, then that's a very
signficant accomplishment.  If not, we're still getting pretty close.

Aside from forked-off trivia like 8086/80286 (ELKS Project), I suspect
the main area where my comparative point with NetBSD applies is embedded
hardware.  Etrax/CRIS and SH3/SH4 (SuperH), sure -- but there are a
whole lot of others.

I've further refined the supported-CPUs table at
http://linuxmafia.com/lug/User-Group-HOWTO-1.html#ss1.1 , by the way,
fixing some items and adding more.

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers