[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 07:48:14 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 21:43, Academician Kula wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Modus Operandi wrote:
>
> >  Not that uptime is the only consideration ... what are some advantages
> >  of GNU/Linux over VMS, or vice-versa?
> >
> >  (I'd be surprised to find a bunch of OpenVMS-elitists on the
> >  Linux-elitists list ... but those people are out there!)
>
> I'm not sure I'd consider myself a VMS-elitist, but I have a fond place in
> my heart for that OS because it was what was on the first 'real' machine I
> used back in college. I have a cluster of 4 machines at home that I run on
> occasion (typically in the winter, when I need to kick in a little extra
> heat).
>
> I've never rigorously administered VMS systems, just played with them, but
> the clustering stuff seems to be a pretty keen thing. It's fairly easy for
> me to add machines to the cluster and have things like user and
> authorization info and resources (disks, printers, etc) shared between the
> systems. GNU/Linux is seeing stuff like that with things like
> NIS/ldap/hesiod and various network filesystems, and clustering stuff like
> OpenMosix.
>
> Besides, I find VAXen fun pieces of hardware to work with, and as someone
> once said, "It doesn't matter if your system is faster than mine. Mine
> could crush yours if it fell over on top of it."

I once almost took home a VAX 11/70 from college but my mom said "No!".
It was a scene almost exactly like "Can I please get a puppy. I promise
I'll take care of it..." That was a long time ago and a galaxy far far
away when gnu was just an editor and a compiler and linux wasn't even a
twinkle in Linus's eye yet.