[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Oct 23 03:00:44 PDT 2003

[Sorry about the broken threading; I deleted a little too soon.]

Quoting Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>:

>> [1] Some 68010-based machines such as some HP 3xx models and sun1/sun2
>> boxes used custom MMUs.  I believe the Motorola 68551 MMU was intended
>> to be compatible with the 68010, but for some reason wasn't.
>
> Indeed, although there's uClinux which supports 68000-series
> processors without MMUs at all at the cost of a few VM features.

Unfortunately, there, you're up against the processor vs. platform
dichotomy, again:  The 68000 series would seem to be generically
supported without MMUs by the uClinux Motorola Dragonball port, but that
isn't going to do you a lot of good on (say) an old m68k Mac unless it
also supports other vital hardware such as Nubus.  The uClinux
Dragonball port has, I'm pretty sure, just broad enough hardware support
to do PalmPilots but not a lot else.

So, as a practical matter, on real machines likely to be encountered, as
opposed to theoretical 68010 machines, I'm pretty sure no Linux is going
to run on less than 68020 with MC68851 MMU + separate FPU (MC68881/MC68882)
_or_ 68020 + Sun custom MMU (for sun3) + separate FPU (MC68881/MC68882),
bare minimum.

An increasingly theoretical question, thankfully.  ;->

> The NetBSD m68010 port supports 68000-series processors with the Sun
> external MMUs, which are significantly different from the Motorola
> ones.

Yes, that's the sun2 port, for which it's NetBSD or nothing.

--
Cheers,           find / -user your -name base -print | xargs chown us:us
Rick Moen