[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Academician Kula tkula@io.com
Wed Oct 22 21:43:33 PDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Modus Operandi wrote:

>  Not that uptime is the only consideration ... what are some advantages
>  of GNU/Linux over VMS, or vice-versa?
>
>  (I'd be surprised to find a bunch of OpenVMS-elitists on the
>  Linux-elitists list ... but those people are out there!)

I'm not sure I'd consider myself a VMS-elitist, but I have a fond place in
my heart for that OS because it was what was on the first 'real' machine I
used back in college. I have a cluster of 4 machines at home that I run on
occasion (typically in the winter, when I need to kick in a little extra
heat).

I've never rigorously administered VMS systems, just played with them, but
the clustering stuff seems to be a pretty keen thing. It's fairly easy for
me to add machines to the cluster and have things like user and
authorization info and resources (disks, printers, etc) shared between the
systems. GNU/Linux is seeing stuff like that with things like
NIS/ldap/hesiod and various network filesystems, and clustering stuff like
OpenMosix.

Besides, I find VAXen fun pieces of hardware to work with, and as someone
once said, "It doesn't matter if your system is faster than mine. Mine
could crush yours if it fell over on top of it."

--
Thomas L. Kula | tkula@io.com | http://www.madscientistresearch.net
Mathom House upon the Canw, The People's Republic of Ames