[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Wed Oct 22 19:09:07 PDT 2003

Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> looked into the void, and said:
> Quoting Joey Hess (joey@kitenet.net):
>
> [VAX:]
>
> > Progress was made on bringing linux up on the VAX at the Oldenburg
> > developer's meeting a month ago. I think there was already a base kernel
> > port, and now it boots to a shell, or nearly so. FWIW.
>
> http://linux-vax.sourceforge.net/newfaq/newfaq.html says:
>
> The kernel boots and works, in a somewhat basic fashion, on a subset of
> VAX systems.
>
> We currently know that we boot to shell on the following VAXen:

<snip!>

  Doesn't OpenVMS have the world record for uptime? (I think it was the
  Irish Railway running VMS V3.0 on a VAX 11/750 for 17 or 18 years.)

  Not that uptime is the only consideration ... what are some advantages
  of GNU/Linux over VMS, or vice-versa?

  (I'd be surprised to find a bunch of OpenVMS-elitists on the
  Linux-elitists list ... but those people are out there!)

--
/home/modus/.signature