[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Wed Oct 22 16:14:01 PDT 2003

Ben Woodard wrote:
> How does debian deal with this. IIRC they prefer to stick as closely to
> the stock kernel but yet they support many arch's. Do they do a lot of
> if(arch==blah) then apply this patch else if(arch=boog)... or do they
> work to make a single source tree?

We maintain separate kernel patch packages for the various architectures
that are forked upstream, and these are temporarily applied by our
kernel build system if they're installed to build up the tree that gets
compiled. We've also had packages that contained entire separate kernel
trees (for eg, hppa, ia64), but are moving away from that to patches
against the stock kernel. Similar methods are used for non-arch specific
patches, such as selinux.

--
see shy jo