[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Adam Sampson azz@us-lot.org
Wed Oct 22 14:50:58 PDT 2003

Jeff Kinz <jkinz@kinz.org> writes:

> Question #1 : Given the rapid adoption and diverse nature of the
> platforms which Linux and Linux derivatives like culinux and
> rt-linux are being propagated are you still sure that NetBSD covers
> more architectures?

No, I'm not; I was just eyeball-comparing the list of merged platforms
on <http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/> with the architectures in the stock
Linux kernel. On closer inspection:

Both have: Alpha, ARM, PA-RISC, i386, m68k, MIPS, PowerPC, SH, SPARC,
x86-64.

Only NetBSD has: 68010, NS32k, VAX.

Only Linux has: CRIS, IA64, S390.

So there really isn't very much to choose between them. If you're
willing to add the externally-maintained architectures for Linux
(particularly including the no-MMU variants), then Linux has the edge;
of course, it's rare to find a Linux distribution that supports all
the architectures above (Debian come pretty close, but they don't do
SH or CRIS yet), whereas the NetBSD "distribution" does the lot.

--
Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>