[linux-elitists] Re: Linux ports

Jeff Kinz jkinz@kinz.org
Wed Oct 22 09:57:26 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:14:25PM -0400, Matthew Galgoci wrote:

> I'm not sure that you'll ever be able to get a comprehensive list. There are so
> many variants of processor families that the lines between arch and processor
> port become clear as mud. (eg, sony playstation versus mips32 versus mips64, etc)
>
> When you get into the embedded space, each particular embedded board becomes its own
> 'platform', often requiring board specific tweaks or hacks. Have a look at the arm
> config options some time. It's just plain nutty.

Hi Matt, Good to see you here in this list too.
Da - I was looking at Linuxdevices.com, many many "platforms" listed
there. Even two Linux wristwatches.

I'm having a "conversation" with someone who's claiming BSD has
been ported to 55 platforms, and claiming thats more than Linux. No
Big deal but I really believe that Linux is taking over the world's
"development mindshare" much more rapidly and more comprehensively than
the collective BSD OS'es.

Nothing against the BSD's. Its an excellent OS, it's just not expanding
as rapidly as Linux.
--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@kinz.org
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an