Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Oct 16 18:33:53 PDT 2003

<quote who="Martin Pool">

> Jeremy, maybe you can give an concrete example of something you want Gaim
> to do, but that it does not do at the moment?
>
> Personally I wish it would not put two large and ugly rows of buttons that
> I never use on every conversation window.  (I don't really care enough to
> file a bug.)  I don't think it's particularly GNOME's fault that they have
> this behaviour.  Other GNOME apps allow hiding of toolbars.

Unfortunately, Gaim is a "quite GNOMEy but not" application, in that the
developers are fiercely against using any GNOME infrastructure directly, but
are happy to cut-n-paste code, provide internal configuration options, etc.
Even with the great new UI, they are still very keen on including lots of
anal retentive behavioural preferences... Once you add one, it's incredibly
hard to ever take it out again! Witness the foaming at the mouth over GNOME
2.x, Galeon/Epiphany, etc., etc. :-)

- Jeff

       The implementation of any sufficiently advanced technology is
                        indistinguishable from pr0n.