Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Thu Oct 16 18:26:09 PDT 2003

On 17 Oct 2003, Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> wrote:
> <quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> > > I'm not convinced that's true.
> >
> > What aren't you convinced of?  Surely you accept that there are people who
> > use gnome only because some app they want uses it.
>
> I think that was adequately dealt with in the rest of my email. You chose
> the app. The app developer chose GNOME. That's the way it is. I'm not sure
> what you expect from this line of argument... Should the GNOME Project shift
> course to satisfy a small percentage of its outlying users? Why bother, when
> you can always choose something else? :-)

Jeremy, maybe you can give an concrete example of something you want
Gaim to do, but that it does not do at the moment?

Personally I wish it would not put two large and ugly rows of buttons
that I never use on every conversation window.  (I don't really care
enough to file a bug.)  I don't think it's particularly GNOME's fault
that they have this behaviour.  Other GNOME apps allow hiding of
toolbars.

There are plenty of things which are hardcoded in the kernel, and
plenty which are configurable in GNOME.  With either of them you have
the freedom to distribute your own patches.

--
Martin