Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Oct 16 18:16:47 PDT 2003

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> > > You have an audience you didn't choose, and who didn't choose you
> > > either.
> >
> > I'm not convinced that's true.
>
> What aren't you convinced of?  Surely you accept that there are people who
> use gnome only because some app they want uses it.

I think that was adequately dealt with in the rest of my email. You chose
the app. The app developer chose GNOME. That's the way it is. I'm not sure
what you expect from this line of argument... Should the GNOME Project shift
course to satisfy a small percentage of its outlying users? Why bother, when
you can always choose something else? :-)

> Or do you claim (contrary to past statements, if I understand them) that
> gnome is explicitly targeted at those users as well? A central tenet of
> your argument has been that unless you like pointy-clicky and minimally
> configurable interfaces you're not part of Gnome's target audience.

I don't think that's an accurate summary. We're going for the big 99% of
non-tech interested or motivated computing users. That's the goal. Sensible
approach to usability is just a strategy.

Your argument isn't very convincing - *you* chose to use the application, so
I don't see why the developer or the community around it should be chastised
for not doing exactly what you want. They have their own development agenda,
which you can of course be a part of, should you choose to contribute.

- Jeff

  "To do: Start up a a magazine dedicated to picky grammar. Call it 'Whom
                              Weekly'." - WzDD