[linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Thu Oct 16 05:41:24 PDT 2003

On 15 Oct 2003 at 11:58:23, Aaron Lehmann moved bits on my disk to say:

> I played with firebird for a bit today, because of the claim on
> Slashdot that 1.5 will be the last Mozilla release.

They said that about 1.4, too.

I'll believe it when I have "Firezilla Browser 1.0" (or whatever they
call it) in my hands.

> Among the weird things that I discovered is that control Q doesn't
> do anything unless you open the file menu before pressing it.

Are you sure your window manager isn't swallowing ctrl-q? Mine was nabbing
ctrl-v, and some alt+X keys before they even got to Moz (so Moz obviously
wasn't doing anything when it got them) before I told it to knock it off.

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:47:04AM -0700, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> > browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing = false.
>
> As an aside, I'm shocked that the default is still true.  Is there any
> real use for this?

Porn.

> Most of the large images I look at are screenshots,
> diagrams, or photographs. The scaling makes the image quality really
> degrade so it's almost useless except for quick previews.

Porn.

> Snip obligatory comment about the real reason this feature even exists
> in firebird.

Porn.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/aufbau01/

> And yes, I can turn this off, but if you're asking for every browser
> user with some common sense to tweak the about:config settings, that
> isn't really a viable design. This feature will just end up annoying a
> lot of people who don't know how to turn it off.

That's funny. Most people I've talked to have asked me how to turn it on
or have been otherwise looking for it.

But maybe that merely says something about the types of images *my*
friends are viewing.

> I'd rather not spend hours trying to figure out cryptic, undocumented
> options.

Ooooh. I understand now. You'd just rather have the options *you* care
about have UI for them, and the rest of the UI for the options that
are 'no brainers,' should have "sane" (i.e. your) defaults, or that you
don't care to customize removed?

> These options are not really intuitively named, and some don't have a
> clear meaning.

Is there anything *else* you'd like to bitch about?

> Do you know what browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone does?

Has to do logging the milestone of the browser so it shows you a "this
release is X weeks old" message when you first start up.

> What about browser.turbo.enabled?

Has to do with what is now called "quicklaunch" (and which doesn't work on
Linux; this pref isn't used anymore.) I learned this from THE FIRST Google
hit, BTW.

> wallet.caveat?

Logs whether or not you've seen the security/privacy "caveats" to using
the wallet.

> alerts.slideincrement?

Probably some UI having to do with a slider on alerts. But you know what?
If the default slide increment of your alerts isn't good enough for you
and you *really* need to change it, you could go ask #mozilla on
irc.mozilla.org what that pref means, and I'll bet someone would tell
you.

> Why is one option named browser.formfill.enable and another named
> browser.fixup.alternate.enabled and another named
> browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing? It's a mess.

Because they all deal with different things, and because the module owners
haven't made a clear policy on preference naming, so prefs get named all
sorts of weird things. If there's ONE *valid* complaint you've spouted,
*that* may be *it*.

> The best documentation I found was
> http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/manual/mozilla-prefs.html. It's a sick
> joke.

Yeah... you're not looking very hard. That, or you don't know how to
use Google:

http://www.texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html
http://www.geocities.com/pratiksolanki/
http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/end-user/customizing/briefprefs.html
http://www.gemal.dk/archives/000274.html

The link for that last one (which is dead because the www.mozilla.org
is down for some reason) says: "This manual is a reference for advanced
users and system administrators who wish to customize Mozilla by editing
the preferences files directly. This manual lists and describes ALL
PREFERENCES available in Mozilla 1.4 suite."

> Right now I'm trying to find the option that will disable the URL
> completion popup in firebird, if one even exists. There's no easy way
> for me to find out.

In doing some searching, I don't know if you can turn that off in
Firebird; it seems the "toolkit" they're using for toolbars is different
between Moz and Firebird.

However, if you were using Mozilla (not Firebird), there's precious
UI in Edit->Preferences to customize that behavior to your heart's
content. Firebird may have some

> I imagine that if you respond to this, you'll tell
> me the name of the option and downplay the difficulty of finding it,
> or question my sanity for trying to disable a feature which most
> people think of as a good thing and tell me to ignore the popup.

I won't question your sanity; some people don't like it (I do, but that's
me). Whatever.

The great thing is we have an open source browser that lets you turn it
off. I will downplay the difficulty of finding it, because IT'S JUST NOT
THAT HARD. You're whining.

Having said that, I'm not your personal Mozilla tech support. I think
I've made it pretty clear that you're just bitching for the sake of
bitching, and that if you knew how to use Google (or, more generally,
how to ask a question, a la:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html), you wouldn't be
asking such patently un-elite questions.

Later,
Paul
J. Paul Reed -- 0xDF8708F8 || preed@sigkill.com || web.sigkill.com/preed
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.
                                            -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I use PGP; you should use PGP too... if only to piss off John Ashcroft