[linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Wed Oct 15 22:19:42 PDT 2003

On 15 Oct 2003, Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> wrote:
> I played with firebird for a bit today, because of the claim on
> Slashdot that 1.5 will be the last Mozilla release. Among the weird
> things that I discovered is that control Q doesn't do anything unless
> you open the file menu before pressing it.
>
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:47:04AM -0700, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> > browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing = false.
>
> As an aside, I'm shocked that the default is still true.  Is there any
> real use for this? Most of the large images I look at are screenshots,
> diagrams, or photographs. The scaling makes the image quality really
> degrade so it's almost useless except for quick previews. It's also
> surprisingly slow, and makes the browser freeze up for a bit when
> the people who use this feature will zoom in in almost all cases
> anyway. Snip obligatory comment about the real reason this feature
> even exists in firebird.
>
> And yes, I can turn this off, but if you're asking for every browser
> user with some common sense to tweak the about:config settings, that
> isn't really a viable design. This feature will just end up annoying a
> lot of people who don't know how to turn it off.

I think this is a case where Havoc's advice may help.  Rather than
have a stupid configuration option, consider if it can be taken out:

 - Use smooth (bilinear?) scaling, so that scaled images don't look
   ugly.

 - Make it not be slow.

After those changes the default would be, if not ideal, at least not
going to actively annoy most of the people most of the time.  Then:

 - Make the zoomed/scaled setting be remembered from one image and one
   session to another.

If it's easy to flip on/off, it might even be useful.

Rather than have a special preferences dialog or configuration file,
allow behaviour to be directly controlled.

--
Martin