[linux-elitists] Yet another mozilla atrocity

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Wed Oct 15 11:58:23 PDT 2003

I played with firebird for a bit today, because of the claim on
Slashdot that 1.5 will be the last Mozilla release. Among the weird
things that I discovered is that control Q doesn't do anything unless
you open the file menu before pressing it.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:47:04AM -0700, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing = false.

As an aside, I'm shocked that the default is still true.  Is there any
real use for this? Most of the large images I look at are screenshots,
diagrams, or photographs. The scaling makes the image quality really
degrade so it's almost useless except for quick previews. It's also
surprisingly slow, and makes the browser freeze up for a bit when
the people who use this feature will zoom in in almost all cases
anyway. Snip obligatory comment about the real reason this feature
even exists in firebird.

And yes, I can turn this off, but if you're asking for every browser
user with some common sense to tweak the about:config settings, that
isn't really a viable design. This feature will just end up annoying a
lot of people who don't know how to turn it off.

> If spending 15 minutes with Google or on IRC and editing a text-based
> configuration file is too "elitist" for you, might I suggest another
> audience to bitch to?

I'd rather not spend hours trying to figure out cryptic, undocumented
options. I don't mind the emacs configuration because emacs has
docstrings and thick reference manuals. These options are not really
intuitively named, and some don't have a clear meaning. Do you know
what browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone does? What about
browser.turbo.enabled? wallet.caveat? alerts.slideincrement? Why is
one option named browser.formfill.enable and another named
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled and another named
browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing? It's a mess.

The best documentation I found was
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/manual/mozilla-prefs.html. It's a sick
joke.

Right now I'm trying to find the option that will disable the URL
completion popup in firebird, if one even exists. There's no easy way
for me to find out. I imagine that if you respond to this, you'll tell
me the name of the option and downplay the difficulty of finding it,
or question my sanity for trying to disable a feature which most
people think of as a good thing and tell me to ignore the popup.