Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Oct 15 10:16:11 PDT 2003

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> You have an audience you didn't choose, and who didn't choose you either.

I'm not convinced that's true.

Application developers choose to use the GNOME Developer Platform to build
their software. Many of them say that this is because they enjoy using the
platform (and languages supported by it) and they like to develop software
for their chosen desktop environment. This, at least, is what I hear from
the hackers I talk to.

Users may simply use what they're given, or choose to use software that
solves their requirements, and hopefully integrates well with other software
they use. For instance, KDE users often prefer Konqueror to Mozilla, while I
know many WindowMaker users who prefer Thunderbird to Galeon/Epiphany. There
is often a sane choice for everyone, but not always.

GNOME developers (and this is a very difficult to define set of people [1]),
on the whole, are choosing to build software that 'just works', with a lot
of effort devoted to a less technically interested/motivated audience than
the 'traditional' FOSS community fans and contributors.

But there are wild card applications, such as Gaim, that attempt to
integrate with the GNOME Desktop, but not use many (or sometimes any) GNOME
libraries in the process. Some apps that started like this are now taking
advantage of the GNOME libraries, some apps that were once GNOME stalwarts
are now sticking mostly with GTK+ (which is basically what the project is
aiming for at the moment anyway - we're trying to shift as much down into
GTK+ as possible; we have a fair bit of crap that should have been there in
the first place).

So, I get your point, but I don't think GNOMEness is being forced down
anyone's throats. There's lots of software out there to choose from...

- Jeff

[1] There are 'core contributors' who work on the Developer Platform and
Desktop, but that's only a small set of the people who develop software that
builds upon and works with GNOME.

         "It's my head, Schwartz - it's my head!" - John Malkovich