Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Oct 15 07:43:45 PDT 2003

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> Note: if you disagree with me, I see four ways you can argue your point:
>
> a) Claim that gnome *does* have a small domain.
>
> b) Claim that gnome does *not* determine with any specificity what
> users' experience with gnome software will be.
>
> c) Claim that Murphy's Law, et all, don't hold.
>
> d) Suggest some other way of managing chaos/complexity, and argue that
> this is what the gnome project does.
>
> Since arguing (a) is very unlikely given the size of the codebase
> (including all apps that depend on gnome libs), and (b) seems directly
> contrary to the project's design goals, you're left with (c) and (d).
> Good luck. ;)

How about...

  (e) It is okay that you do not seem to be in our target audience. :-)

Most people want to get on with their lives and have software that 'just
works'. That's what we're trying to do. You see computers, and your use of
them, differently. And that's okay - as it happens, pretty much everyone on
this list would feel the same to various degrees.

I have multiple terminals on my screen every day. That's how I work. My
friend, who is a highly mentally agile lawyer / diplomat's assistant,
doesn't. She barely changes the defaults, beyond choosing a theme she likes
from the pre-installed selection.

We are *incredibly* demanding users. 99% of 'real people' are not. They
don't have the time, interest or knowledge to be. They just want to get shit
done with a computer that 'just works'.

I'm not discrediting or rejecting your points at all, just demonstrating
that we see our audience differently (or, we see a different audience).
Aiming for world domination is hopefully not offensive to too many people
here. :-)

- Jeff

       "In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type:
                        text/plain" - Martin Schulze