Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Tue Oct 14 21:35:40 PDT 2003

On 13 Oct 2003, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> > You said that you wanted to
> >
> >   refute an allegation that GConf is a fine way to store application
> >   settings
> >
> > I did read that as saying gconf was bad.  What were you trying to say?
>
> You know, actually paying _attention_ to context is a really good way to
> glean meanings.

As opposed to paying attention to the direct contradiction in what you
actually wrote?

Rick later wrote:

  I had not been debating the merits of GConf.

You said, in so many words, (1) that gconf utterly sucks, is not sane,
is not good design, is not acceptable, is not a good way to store
settings, makes a mess, is unfriendly, is undocumented, and (2) that
you're not criticizing gconf, and responses to those criticisms are
"non sequiters".  This is inconsistent and certainly looks evasive,
whatever your motives.

In a recent post, you seem to say that you only dislike the lack of
documentation, and you have no opinion on gconf's technical design.
You're contradicting your quote above and many others, but nevermind.
You could simply say so, without tantrums about non sequiters.

After you've written about how bad gconf is in your opinion, it is
entirely on-topic for people to argue the contrary.

I absolutely agree that gconf is underdocumented and that is a bad
thing.  You can stop flogging that point whenever you like.  I'm sorry
it was too hard for you to use in the time you had available.

--
Martin