Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 14 21:08:28 PDT 2003

on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:14:14AM -0400, Jesse Hutton (jhutton@eden.rutgers.edu) wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:03:03AM -0400, Jesse Hutton (jhutton@eden.rutgers.edu) wrote:
> >
> > > I do think all this "non-sequitur" crap is utterly pedantic, and just a
> > > way of sidestepping the argument.
> >
> > I really hope that was intentionally ironic.
>
> No, I was not being intentionally ironic. What I was referring to is the
> tendency of some people to blow the referee's whistle (so to speak), and
> say "aha! that was a non-sequitur (sic)" with no actual substantive
> response.

The antecedent was already non-substantive.  Noting this with the
comment "non sequitur" is the appropriate substantive response.

<...>

> Just for future reference, what would have been a non-non sequitur
> response? Acknowleding the shortcomings of GConf at this point and
> specifically with his issues with $APPS_HE_CARES_ABOUT?

Yes.

> That's not difficult to do. I acknowledge that! But what about
> acknowledging that it is a work in progress, and that GConf already
> solves a lot of usability problems.

Jeff Waugh has actually exerpted a number of salient points I've made in
his new thread.  I'd include the radical changes between versions of
GNOME, concommitant treadmill, and two-year-old open bugs requesting at
least rudimentary documentation in a project described by Martin Pool as
a "first release" but which the GNOME website advertises as version 2.4.

The problems I see are not those of a brand-new, version one project,
but of a crusade lost in the desert, but envisioning itself to be in
some sort of oasis.

Peace.

    Bush/Cheney '04: Four More Wars!