Jesse Hutton jhutton@eden.rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 14 08:23:45 PDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> <pedantic>
>
>    Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary:
>
>    non sequtur:  2.  A statement (as a response) that does not follow
>    logically from anything previously said
>
> </pedantic>

And, FWIW, I always considered a non sequitur to mean that a person's
argument is hopelessly flawed internally ("An inference which does not
follow from the premises" according to dict.org). For example, if I
present a set of premises and then draw a rediculous conclusion, that
would be a non sequitur (it's done in politics all the time). However, I
don't have to accept your premises in the first place, so any response I
make to your statement, no matter how inane, is not necessarily, strictly
speaking, a non sequitur.

Jesse