Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 14 06:51:21 PDT 2003

on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:03:03AM -0400, Jesse Hutton (jhutton@eden.rutgers.edu) wrote:

> I do think all this "non-sequitur" crap is utterly pedantic, and just a
> way of sidestepping the argument.

I really hope that was intentionally ironic.

<pedantic>

   Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary:

   non sequtur:  2.  A statement (as a response) that does not follow
   logically from anything previously said

</pedantic>

Note too that there's no hyphen.

A non sequitur *is* side-stepping the argument with an irrelevant
comment.  As has been done with phenomenal consistancy in responses to
criticisms of GNOME and gconf in this thread.  So yes, I'd like to see
people dispense of the non seqs, and get on with discussion on merits.
I'd also like world peace, fed children, a democratically elected
President, and a qualified governor.  I'm not holding my breath.

Peace.

    WAIT TILL I GET GOING! Where was I?
    Australia.