Jesse Hutton jhutton@eden.rutgers.edu
Mon Oct 13 19:27:46 PDT 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org):
>
> > Given that you like some features of Abiword but not their
> > configuration system, you might ask why the Abiword authors did it
> > that way.
>
> I may get around to that.  [snip]

And it may be evasive and besides the point. The point is that Abiword
programmers *chose* to use the gconf system. You would like to blame
Gnome, as if they were the evil, totalitarian rulers who have forced them
to use this system. But, you don't blame the Abiword people at all? Come
on!

> > They're not completely bad programmers, or you wouldn't be
> > worrying about it at all.  So some people who know something about
> > design have made a decision to use gconf.  [...]
>
> I notice you've dropped back into non-sequitur mode.

I hereby propose that the word "non-sequitur" be banned from this list.
Am I suggesting an ever so slightly curb of the freedom of speech? Yes,
but it stems from the complete inability to use the word appropriately
and responsibly.

> The above, and the three tedious non-responsive paragraphs that
> followed, seems to assume I'd asserted that using GConf is a bad idea.
> You may wish to re-read what I actually wrote, and endeavour to
> understand what I said.

You're not complaining that GConf sucks?

Jesse