Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 13 18:53:02 PDT 2003

Quoting Martin Pool (mbp@samba.org):

> Given that you like some features of Abiword but not their
> configuration system, you might ask why the Abiword authors did it
> that way.

I may get around to that.  For the moment, I was merely making a point
about how the existing setup, contrary to the claim (elsewhere) that I
was refuting, is _not_ in the least accomodating to those expecting to
find the usual /etc/appname.rc and ~/.appname.rc configuration
structure.

At the moment I was trying to find the system-wide Galeon configuration
(for my original post, which I forwarded to l-e), I was ssh'ed into this
machine on a 22.8 kbps dial-up to investigate the question.  I looked
around and found nothing approximating /etc/galeon* .  Moreover, there's
not even /usr/share/doc/galeon* .  There's not even a stub -- an
informational notice --in either place.

Which means that the maintainers haven't even (yet) thought to put a
brief text file in either or both places cluing people in as to where to
look.

> They're not completely bad programmers, or you wouldn't be
> worrying about it at all.  So some people who know something about
> design have made a decision to use gconf.  [...]

I notice you've dropped back into non-sequitur mode.  The above, and the
three tedious non-responsive paragraphs that followed, seems to assume
I'd asserted that using GConf is a bad idea.  You may wish to re-read
what I actually wrote, and endeavour to understand what I said.

--
Cheers,                     "Get the facts first.  You can distort them later."
Rick Moen                                                     -- Mark Twain