[linux-elitists] (forw) PUBSW: Red Hat 9 *not* supported

Ben Woodard ben@zork.net
Mon Oct 13 17:15:47 PDT 2003

What is PUBSW?

The really big change that is a bit of a challenge for some people to
get over is NPTL, the native posix threading library. The change that
this brings into glibc is rather substantial However, the payoff is also
quite substantial. We are not just talking something as optional as
performance here. Basically, NPTL fixes linux so that it actually does
implement the posix pthread standard and it does it well.

I've spent a lot of time helping to sort out issues that have popped up
by moving to NPTL and I know that it is not easy. Some of the issues are
amazingly subtle. I've really learned quite a lot digging into the
esoteric details of the posix standard.

I know I have been a SA and I hate it when I have to do more work
because something underneath me changes. However, I think that painting
this as a black and white issue where Red Hat is wrong for departing
from the way that other people do things is kind of unfair. In
evaluating the changes and the work necessary to adapt the software to
support them, you need to at least take into account the benefits of
supporting NPTL.

-ben

<disclaimer>I work for Red Hat</disclaimer>