[linux-elitists] (forw) PUBSW: Red Hat 9 *not* supported

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 13 16:40:48 PDT 2003

----- Forwarded message from Russ Allbery <eagle@windlord.stanford.edu> -----

From: Russ Allbery <eagle@windlord.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:55:10 -0700
To: sulug-discuss@lists.Stanford.EDU
Subject: PUBSW: Red Hat 9 *not* supported

Linux users and administrators,

Please be aware that pubsw software is not supported on Red Hat 9
(including the most current versions of SULinux).  Much of it may work,
but much of it definitely does not work (particularly but not limited to
any software built against X libraries), and we do not yet have an
estimated date for when we will be able to support Red Hat 9.

Unfortunately, the lack of backward compatibility and the degree of change
in Red Hat 9 is considerably worse than we had originally anticipated.  We
had originally thought that the only change we had to worry about was
patching and rebuilding old packages with errno or resolver library
problems (for which Red Hat 9) also has a workaround.  We have since
discovered that the glibc changes in Red Hat 9 have also broken the pubsw
X libraries as well as various other shared libraries on which pubsw
software relies.  There is not one simple cause for the breakage; Red Hat
appears to have made multiple changes to glibc that are not backward
compatible with programs built with earlier versions.

These problems seem to be Red Hat-specific.  Other Linux distributions may
not be affected even if using the same version of glibc.  Debian testing
and unstable, for example, continue to run pubsw software without
difficulties.

There is, as yet, no estimated time for Red Hat 9 support.  The amount of
work that needs to be done to support Red Hat 9 is fairly extensive, in
some cases requires patching the original software (not just rebuilding
it), and may require building a separate software tree solely for Red Hat
9.  No resources have as yet been assigned to this work.

In the meantime, users of Red Hat 9 who need pubsw software will need to
look for alternatives.  Many packages in pubsw are also available as RPMs
that can be installed locally, Red Hat 7.3 (or Red Hat 8) continue to work
correctly with all pubsw software, or one could switch to a different
Linux distribution with better backward compatibility.

--
Russ Allbery <eagle@windlord.stanford.edu>
Technical Lead, ITSS Infrastructure Operations, Stanford University

--

----- End forwarded message -----